January 12, 2018

Sisters of Providence celebrate milestone jubilees

Criterion staff report

In 2017, two Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods celebrated 75 years in the congregation, seven celebrated 70 years, and nine celebrated 60 years.

60-year jubilarians

Sister Susanne (formerly James) Gallagher, a native of Woodstock, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Loyola University in Chicago with a master’s degree in religious education and from

Northern Illinois University with a master’s in special education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Terre Haute at St. Patrick School (1960-61) and at the former St. Margaret Mary School (1963-65). She also served in Illinois and New Hampshire. Currently, she ministers as the assistant director for the Special Religious Development Agency in the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Sister Janet (formerly Janet Marie) Gilligan, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1964. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Northern Illinois University with a master’s degree and doctorate in English.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at the former St. Andrew School (1961-62) and St. Simon the Apostle School (1962-67). She also served in Illinois, Nebraska, New York, Oklahoma and in France. Currently, she ministers as an archives assistant and grant writer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Mary Catherine Keene, a native of Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1964. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music education, from the University of Illinois with a master’s degree in music, and from Catholic Theological Union/Catholic Graduate School of Theology in Chicago with a master’s degree of theological studies.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Terre Haute at the former St. Ann School (1971-77); in Indianapolis in various ministries for A Caring Place Adult Day Services and Lakeview Manor Healthcare; and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as activities coordinator for Providence and Owen Halls. She also served in Illinois and Tennessee. Currently, she ministers as the activities coordinator in Providence Hall at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Arlene (formerly Jean Cecile) Knarzer, a native of St. Michael the Archangel Parish in Indianapolis, entered the congregation on July 21, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in business administration, and from the University of Kentucky with a master’s degree in library science.

In the archdiocese, she served as business officer at the former Ladywood Academy and in various business and finance roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She also served in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota and Texas. Currently, she ministers in grant research, data analysis and accounting at Guérin College Preparatory High School in River Grove, Ill., and the Special Religious Development Agency for the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Sister Carol (formerly Richard Ann) Lindly, a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1964.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University with a master’s degree in elementary education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a principal at McClelland and Stout Field elementary schools, as program coordinator for the Hispanic Education Center, and as a lab technician. In Indiana, she also served in Fort Wayne and Jasper. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer in the Administration Building of the Sisters of Providence.

Sister Patricia (formerly Kevin Joseph) Mahoney, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1964. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Illinois State University with a master’s degree in psychology.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Thomas Aquinas School in Indianapolis (1962-67). She also ministered in Illinois and Texas. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer for the 22nd Police District in Chicago.

Sister Carol (formerly Michaeleen) Meyers, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1964.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in early childhood development, and from Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis with a master’s degree in adult education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Matthew the Apostle School (1961-64); in Plainfield as a teacher at St. Susanna School (1984-85); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as an instructor of early childhood/Montessori teaching methods. She also served in Illinois and Washington, D.C. Currently, she ministers as a parish volunteer at St. Cyprian Parish in River Grove, Ill., as an English as a Second Language tutor at the Dominican Literacy Center in Melrose Park, Ill., and as a Montessori consultant in Chicago.

Sister Sharon (formerly Charlene) Richards, a native of Owosso, Mich., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1957, and professed her final vows on Aug. 15, 1964. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Marygrove College in Detroit with a master’s degree in education.

She has served in Illinois, Maryland and North Carolina. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer at St. Alexander School in Palos Heights, Ill.

Sister Elizabeth (formerly Ann Martin) Smigla, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on July 22, 1957, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Northeastern Illinois University with a master’s degree in special education.

She has served in Illinois, Maryland, Missouri and in the country of Peru. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer advocate for immigrants, victims and prisoners at Taller de San Joseph and Kolbe House in Chicago.

70-year jubilarians

Sister Agnes Maureen Badura, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on July 22, 1947, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1955.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, and from Marquette University with a master’s degree in mathematics.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Philip Neri School (1958-61); in Terre Haute as a volunteer for the Wabash Valley Health Center; and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She has also served in California, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma and Washington, D.C.

Sister Joyce (formerly Robert Ellen) Brophy, a native of Joliet, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1947, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1955.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School in Terre Haute (1995-99), and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She also served in South Bend, Ind., and in California and Illinois. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer at Providence Spirituality & Conference Center at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Margaret (formerly Margaret Bernard) Heese, a native of Robstown, Texas, entered the congregation on June 17, 1947, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1955.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Northern Arizona University with a master’s degree in art education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Thomas Aquinas School (1958-60), and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She also served in Arizona, California, Illinois and Texas. Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Mary Ann (formerly Robert Ann) Lechner, a native of Jasper, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 8, 1947, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1954. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at the former St. Ann School (1967-68 and 1972‑76), St. Joan of Arc School (1976-81), St. Simon the Apostle School (1981-97), as a GED coordinator at the Hispanic Education Center, and a volunteer financial assistant at La Plaza (2003-10); in Plainfield as a teacher and principal at St. Susanna School (1959-65); and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

She also served in Lafayette and Vincennes, Ind. and in Illinois. Currently, she ministers as a volunteer for the Sisters of Providence Mission Advancement Department.

Sister Joan (formerly Ignatius) Matthews, a native of Columbus, Ohio, entered the congregation on July 22, 1947, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music, and from The Catholic University of America in Washington with a master’s degree in voice.

In the archdiocese, she served in New Albany as a teacher at the former Holy Trinity School (1950), in Terre Haute at the former St. Margaret Mary, St. Joseph and Sacred Heart schools (1952-53); and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She also taught in Hammond, Jasper and Vincennes, Ind., in California, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C., and in the country of Taiwan. Currently, she ministers in residential services at Providence Health Care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Maureen Ann McCarthy, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1947, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1954. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in elementary education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Anthony School (1951-54) and at St. Philip Neri School (1957-58); in Sellersburg at St. Paul School (1950-51); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various roles. She also served in Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina and in Texas. Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Lucille (formerly Mary Lucille) Nolan, a native of Galesburg, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1947, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music education, and from the University of Illinois with a master’s degree in music education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at the former St. Bridget School (1950), Holy Cross Central School and the former Cathedral Grade School (1968-69); and in Terre Haute at the former St. Ann School (1955-56). She also served in Illinois, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas. Currently, she ministers as a hospice volunteer and ministry to homebound in Olympia Fields and Sauk Village, Ill.

75-year jubilarians

Sister Mary Patricia Cummings (formerly Maria Janice), a native of the former Holy Trinity Parish in New Albany, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1942, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1949. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education, and from Catholic Spalding University in Louisville with a master’s degree in religious studies.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher in Bloomington at St. Charles Borromeo School (1970-71); in Clarksville at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1971-76); in Indianapolis at St. Thomas Aquinas School (1953-56), in New Albany at Holy Family School (1967-69); as a pastoral associate in Jeffersonville at St. Augustine Parish (1976-85); in New Albany at Baptist Hospital (1976‑77); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in residential services. She also served in Fort Wayne and Whiting, Ind., and in Illinois, Maryland and Washington, D.C. Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Francis Edwards (formerly Francis Bernard), a native of Oklahoma City, Okla., entered the congregation on Sept. 8, 1942, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1950. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in mathematics, and from University of Oklahoma with a master’s degree of library science.

In the archdiocese she served as a teacher in Indianapolis at the former St. Catherine of Siena School (1948‑50), St. Anthony School (1950-52); the school is now a Notre Dame ACE Academy), the former St. John Academy (1952‑55), the former St. Agnes Academy (1959‑66), the former Ladywood High School (1968-69 and 1971-72); as a librarian for Providence Cristo Rey High School (2006-08); and in various roles at Saint Mary-of-the Woods. She also served in Vincennes and Evansville, Ind., and in California, Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma. Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!