January 22, 2016

21 Sisters of Providence celebrate jubilees

Criterion staff report

Twenty-one Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in St. Mary-of-the-Woods celebrated their 60th, 70th and 80th jubilee anniversaries as members of the congregation in 2015.

80-year jubilarian

Sister Mary Terence Haag—a native of Montgomery, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on July 14, 1935, from the former St. Michael Parish in Montgomery. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1944.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Terence ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Patrick School (1938-39), the former St. Catherine of Siena School (1939-43), the former St. Rita School (1944-46), the former St. Bridget School (1946-54 and 1970-71), the former St. Anthony School (1967-70), the former St. Francis Day Nursery (1971-73), the former St. Ann School (1979-85), and at St. Ann Parish as a home visitor (1980-85).

She also served in the Evansville Diocese and in Illinois.

She ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

75-year jubilarians

Sister Richard Bussing—a native of Brazil, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1940, from Annunciation Parish in Brazil. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1948.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

She served at the motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as a convent aide from 1977-82.

She also ministered in California, Illinois, Montana, North Carolina and Texas.

Sister Mary Roger Madden—a native of Decatur, Ill., entered the congregation on Sept. 16, 1940, from St. Patrick Parish in Decatur. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1949.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She earned a master’s degree in English from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, she ministered as a teacher in Clarksville at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1964-65), in Indianapolis at Holy Cross Central School (1949), and in Richmond at St. Mary School (1952-54). She also taught at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (1968-69).

She served at the motherhouse in the house of prayer (1969-71), as the congregation historian (1986-96), and as pilgrimage coordinator for Providence Spirituality and Conference Center (1998-2007).

She also ministered in Indiana in the dioceses of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Gary and Lafayette, and in California, Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Sister Mary Roger currently ministers as the coordinator for the Blessed Sacrament Chapel at the motherhouse.

Sister Annette Schipp—a native of Ferdinand, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1940, from St. Joseph Parish in Jasper, Ind. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1948.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Annette served in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Luke the Evangelist School (1965-67) and St. Joan of Arc School (1967-76); and in New Albany as a receptionist at Providence Retirement Home (1991-93).

She also ministered in the Evansville Diocese and in Illinois.

She currently ministers in health care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

70-year jubilarians

Sister Rita Black—a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on July 22, 1945, from St. Patrick Parish in Terre Haute. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1953.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from Indiana State University in Terre Haute, and her nurse’s aide degree from Our Lady of Lourdes School of Nursing in Camden, N.J. She also earned her Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) degree from Indiana Vocational Technical College, now Ivy Tech Community College.

In the archdiocese, Sister Rita served in Bloomington as a teacher at St. Charles Borromeo School (1953-63); in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Philip Neri School (1951-52); and in Terre Haute as a teacher and principal at the former St. Benedict School (1967-70), as a teacher at the former St. Margaret Mary School (1970-75), and as an outreach nurse at St. Ann Medical Clinic (1996-2007).

She worked at the motherhouse on the infirmary staff (1975-77), as an infirmary LPN (1978-80), as supervisor of convent aides (1980-84), as an outreach nurse (2007-09) and in residential services and as a volunteer for the White Violet Center for Eco-Justice (2007-10).

She also served in Alabama, California and Illinois.

Sister Rita currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Marie Paul Haas—a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on July 22, 1945, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1953.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music education. She earned her master’s degree in music education from Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Marie Paul served as a teacher in Indianapolis at Holy Cross Central School (1961-63).

She also ministered in California, Illinois and North Carolina.

Sister Marie Paul currently ministers in Chicago.

Sister Laurine Haley—a native of Melrose, Mass., entered the congregation on July 22, 1945, from Sacred Hearts Parish in Malden, Mass. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1953.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She received her master’s degree in elementary school counseling from the University of New Hampshire in Durham, N.H.

She served at the motherhouse in health care services (1998-2002), residential services (2002-05), as a receptionist for the former Woods Day/Pre-school (2005-10), and as Ministry of Care volunteer (2005-11).

She also served in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Washington, D.C.

She currently serves in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Marian Ruth Johnson—a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1945, from Most Precious Blood Parish in Fort Wayne. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1952.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from Marygrove College in Detroit, Mich.

Sister Marian Ruth served in the archdiocese in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Catherine of Siena School (1951-52), as principal of St. Phillip Neri School (1967-70) and then as a teacher there (1984-87), as a teacher at the former St. Patrick School (1972-76), as a teacher at Central Catholic School (1976-82), as principal of the former St. Francis de Sales School (1982-83), as principal of the former St. Rita School (1983-84), as an adult education teacher at Martin University (1990-93) and then as a college instructor (1993-95), and as a General Education Development (GED) teacher at the Walker Career Center (1996-2003).

She also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, and in California and Illinois.

Sister Marian Ruth currently serves in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Eugene Francis Keaveney—a native of Everett, Mass., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1945, from St. Rose of Lima Parish in Chelsea, Mass. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1952.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from Rivier University in Nashua, N.H.

Sister Eugene Francis served in the archdiocese in Georgetown as an Adult Basic Education (ABE)/GED instructor at Providence Place (now Providence House for Children from 2003-05); in New Albany as receptionist for Providence Retirement Home (1993-94), as a foster parent/adult education teacher for Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries (1994-96), and as an ABE/GED instructor there (1996-2003); and in Sellersburg as a teacher at St. Paul School (1957-59).

She also ministered in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Martha (formerly Marie Aquinas) Steidl—a native of Paris, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1945, from St. Mary Parish in Paris. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1953.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Wood College with a bachelor’s degree in music. She earned her master’s degree in music from The Catholic University of America in Washington, and a master’s degree in religious studies from the University of Saint Mary of the Lake in Mundelein, Ill..

In the archdiocese, Sister Martha served as a teacher in Indianapolis at Cathedral High School (1950-52).

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, she served as a music instructor (1973-77), assistant professor of music (1977-80), associate professor of music (1984-88), professor of music (1988-2001) and adjunct faculty on campus and online (2001-13).

Sister Martha also served in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Mary Jo (formerly Joseph Maureen) Stewart—a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on Jan. 8, 1945, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1952.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her LPN degree from Indiana Vocational Tech, now Ivy Tech Community College.

Sister Mary Jo served in the archdiocese as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Patrick School (1967-68) and in Richmond at St. Mary School (1968-70). She also served in Terre Haute as a volunteer at St. Ann Medical Clinic (2002-04).

She served at the motherhouse on the infirmary staff (1973-78), on the infirmary staff as an LPN (1981-85), and in health services (1985-86).

She also served in the dioceses of Fort Wayne-South Bend and Gary, and in California, Illinois and Mississippi.

Sister Mary Jo currently ministers in health care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Winifred Mary Sullivan—a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on July 22, 1945, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1953.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from the St. Louis University in St. Louis.

In the archdiocese, Sister Winifred Mary served as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Joan of Arc School (1966-67); in New Albany at Holy Family School (1958-60); and in Terre Haute as teacher and principal at the former St. Margaret Mary School (1967-69).

She also taught in Indiana in the dioceses of Evansville and Fort Wayne-South Bend, and in Illinois, Maryland and Missouri.

Sister Winifred Mary currently ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

60-year jubilarians

Sister Josephine (formerly Joseph Anthony) Bryan—a native of Hollywood, Md., entered the congregation on July 22, 1955, from Holy Redeemer Parish in College Park, Md. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1963.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her bachelor’s degree in nursing from St. Xavier University in Chicago, and a master’s degree in medical and surgical nursing from the University of Indianapolis.

Sister Josephine served in the archdiocese in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Andrew School (1960-61) and at St. Joan of Arc School (1961-64).

She served at the motherhouse in the infirmary (1964-65), as head nurse of the infirmary (1967-69), as supervisor of the infirmary (1971-73), and as director of nursing (1976-84).

She also served in the Lafayette Diocese, and in California, Illinois, Maryland and Washington, D.C., and in Vietnam during the Vietnam War (1969-71).

Sister Josephine currently ministers in holistic health services in Apple Valley, Calif.

Sister Suzanne (formerly Suzanne Marie) Dailey—a native of Lincoln, Neb., entered the congregation on July 22, 1955, from St. Ambrose Parish in Cheverly, Md. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1963.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in social studies. She earned her master’s degree in United States history from Indiana University in Bloomington, and her doctorate in United States history from St. Louis University. She also earned a master’s degree in education from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.

Sister Suzanne served in the archdiocese in Clarksville as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1964-67).

She served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as associate professor of history (1971-82), as vice president for academic affairs (1982-90), and as executive vice president/provost (1990-93).

She also served in California and Illinois.

Sister Suzanne currently ministers as the general secretary of the Sisters of Providence.

Sister Jean (formerly Jean Marian) Fuqua—a native of Owensboro, Ky., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1955, from the Parish of the Immaculate in Owensboro, Ky. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. She earned her master’s degree in mathematics from the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Ind., and her master’s of business administration (MBA) in business management from Indiana University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Jean served in Clarksville as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1962-67).

She served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as dean of students and math (1967-73), vice president of student affairs, math and physical science (1973-77), vice president for development (1977-85) and as a professor (1987-98).

She served at the motherhouse as coordinator for White Violet Center for Eco-Justice (1998-2002), and then as assistant director there (2002-10).

She has also ministered in Illinois.

Sister Jean currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Ann Matilda Holloran—a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Jan. 5, 1955, from St. Anthony Parish in Indianapolis. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in elementary education from Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

Sister Ann Matilda served in the archdiocese in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Jude School (1966-71), as a teacher at St. Simon the Apostle School (1971-77), as a pastoral associate at the former St. Bernadette Parish (1985-89), and as chaplain at Community East Hospital (1989-2006).

She served at the motherhouse as a minister of care in health care services (2006-08), and as administrator of health care services (2008-12).

She also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, and in Illinois.

Sister Ann Matilda currently ministers in holistic health services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Nancy (formerly Jean Paula) Nolan—a native of Galesburg, Ill., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1955, from Corpus Christi Parish in Galesburg, Ill. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned her master’s degree in education from the University of Illinois in Champaign, and her master’s degree in pastoral studies from Loyola University in Chicago.

In the archdiocese, Sister Nancy served in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Philip Neri School (1959-65), and in Terre Haute as associate administrator and director of religious studies at the former St. Ann Parish (1985-86).

She served at the Motherhouse as General Superior (1986-96).

She has also served in Illinois and Oklahoma.

Sister Nancy currently ministers as the vocation office coordinator for the Sisters of Providence.

Sister Ann Margaret O’Hara—a native of Louisville, Ky., entered the congregation on July 22, 1955, from St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Clarksville. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1963.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She earned her master’s degree in business education from Indiana University, and another master’s degree in pastoral theology from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.

Sister Ann Margaret served in the archdiocese in Indianapolis as a teacher at Roncalli High School (1963-67), as executive secretary of the former St. Gabriel Province (1975-76), and then as a provincial there (1978-86).

She served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as dean of administration (1976-77), then as vice president for student affairs (1977-78).

She served at the Motherhouse as general councilor (1991-96), as vicar (1996-2001), as general superior (2001-06), and as executive director/consultant of the Women in Providence Collaboration religious retirement organization (2007-12).

Sister Ann Margaret currently ministers as the general treasurer for the Sisters of Providence.

Sister Mary Ann (formerly Marie Marcella) Phelan—a native of Baltimore, Md., entered the congregation on July 22, 1955, from St. Clement Parish in Lansdowne, Md. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1963.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in social studies.

Sister Mary Ann served at the motherhouse as associate promoter of the Mother Theodore Guérin sainthood cause (2003-07), as a volunteer at the former Woods Day/Care Pre-school (2006-07) and then as receptionist and sign language instructor there (2010-14).

She also served in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

Sister Mary Ann currently ministers as a sign language instructor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, and as a volunteer at Providence Spirituality and Conference Center at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Margaret (formerly Ann Jude) Quinlan—a native of Troy, N.Y., entered the congregation on July 22, 1955, from the former Holy Spirit Parish in Evansville, Ind. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1963.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in social studies. She earned her master’s degree in English from Indiana University.

Sister Margaret served in the archdiocese in Clarksville as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1972-78 and 1979-81); and in Indianapolis as a teacher at Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ School (1960-62).

She served at the motherhouse as a teacher for the Providence Aspirancy (1964-66), then at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as an adjunct instructor/research assistant and tutor (1996), and as an adjunct instructor/director of education (1996-2006).

She also served in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois and Texas.

Sister Margaret currently ministers as an adjunct instructor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.

Sister Alice Ann Rhinesmith—a native of Bellefonte, Pa., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1955, from St. Joan of Arc Parish in Indianapolis. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in business education. She earned a master’s degree in business education/office administration from Ball State University, and another in health services administration from the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Ill.

Sister Alice Ann served in the archdiocese in Clarksville as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1963-67); in Indianapolis as a teacher at a teacher at Roncalli High School (1968-71), as secretary/treasurer at the former St. Gabriel Province House (1971-73) then as treasurer there (1973-78); in New Albany as administrator of Providence Retirement Home (1978-79); and in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Schulte High School (1967-68).

She served as vice president for business affairs at Saint Mary-of-the Woods College (1979-86).

She also served in the Gary Diocese and in Illinois.

Sister Alice Ann currently ministers in health care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!