February 13, 2015

Sisters of Providence celebrate jubilee anniversaries

Criterion staff report

Twenty-eight Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in St. Mary-of-the-Woods will celebrate jubilee anniversaries as members of the congregation this year.

This week, we highlight 10 sisters celebrating their 60th anniversary.

60th anniversaries

Sister Kathleen Dede (formerly Sister Marie Arthur), a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1954, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in social work from St. Louis University in St. Louis, and a master’s degree in theology studies at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Calif.

In the archdiocese, she taught in Indianapolis at the former St. Anthony School (1956-58) and the former St. Andrew School (1964-67), and as a substitute teacher (2011-13). In St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she taught and was a principal at the former Saint Mary-of-the-Woods Village School (1968-69).

At the motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, she served in social work (1979-80), and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as an instructor in social work and sociology (1980-82).

Sister Kathleen has also ministered in the Lafayette Diocese, and in California, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi and Missouri.

She currently ministers as a nursing home visitor in Indianapolis.

Sister Ruth Ellen Doane, a native of Jasper, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on Jan. 4, 1954, from St. Joseph Parish in Jasper. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. She earned a master’s degree in mathematics at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., and a master’s degree in theology at Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology in St. Meinrad.

In the archdiocese, Sister Ruth Ellen served in Clarksville as a teacher and assistant principal at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1970-77), and in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Patrick School (1961-68), as development office assistant for Providence Cristo Rey High School (2007-08), and as a volunteer for A Caring Place Adult Day Services (2009-13).

She has also served in the Evansville Diocese and in Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts and in Germany.

She currently volunteers in outreach ministry at the Crisis Connection in Indianapolis.

Sister Betty Donoghue (formerly Sister Clare Patrice), a native of Melrose, Mass., entered the congregation on July 22, 1954, from St. Joseph Parish in Malden, Mass. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Philip Neri School (1963-69).

At the motherhouse, Sister Betty served as a nurse’s aide in the infirmary (1976-80), nursing assistant (1981-2001), and as local coordinator for health care (2001-02).

Sister Betty has also ministered in the Lafayette Diocese, and in Illinois, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

She currently ministers in Health Care Services at the mother house at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Joseph Fillenwarth, a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Jan. 4, 1954, from the former Holy Cross Parish in Indianapolis. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in education at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

In the archdiocese, Sister Joseph served in Indianapolis as a teacher at Holy Spirit School (1963-67) and St. Joan of Arc School (1967-78).

She has also served in the Evansville Diocese and Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, and in Kentucky and Oklahoma.

She currently ministers as the director of Providence Food Pantry in West Terre Haute.

Sister Mary Rita Griffin (formerly Sister Mary Paula), a native of Washington, D.C., entered the congregation on July 22, 1954, from St. Ann Parish in Washington. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in general science at Virginia State University in Petersburg, Va.

In the archdiocese, she taught at Our Lady of the Greenwood School in Greenwood (1957-58).

Sister Mary Rita has also served in the Evansville Diocese, in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina and Washington, D.C., and in Taiwan.

She currently ministers as the coordinator for the Shrine of Our Lady of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Carolyn Kessler (formerly Sister Ann Carolyn), a native of Evansville, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on July 22, 1954, from St. Andrew Parish in Erie, Pa. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1962.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in French. She earned a master’s degree and doctorate in linguistics at Georgetown University in Washington.

In the archdiocese, she served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as an assistant professor of linguistics (1971-72).

Sister Carolyn has also ministered in the Evansville Diocese, in California, Texas and Washington, D.C., and in Italy and Taiwan.

She currently ministers in outreach ministry in San Antonio, Texas.

Sister Dorothy Larson (formerly Sister Margaret Marian), a native of Chicago, Ill., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1954, from the former St. Angela Parish in Chicago. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in education from Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

Sister Dorothy has ministered in the Evansville Diocese and in Illinois, North Carolina and Oklahoma.

She currently ministers as the director of extended day programs at St. Zachary School in Des Plaines, Ill.

Sister Maria Smith (formerly Sister Maria Goretti), a native of Lafayette, Ind., in the Diocese of Lafayette., entered the congregation on Jan. 4, 1954, from St. Mary Cathedral Parish in Lafayette. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in education from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Maria served in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1967-70) and St. Simon the Apostle School (1977-79); in New Albany as activities director for Providence Retirement Home (1982-94), with the Self-Sufficiency Program (1994-95) and as a house parent for Providence House (1995-96); in Richmond at St. Mary School (1964-67 and 1970-73); and in Terre Haute as a teacher at St. Patrick School (1979-82) and as an individual treatment coordinator (1997-2001).

At the motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Maria served as co-director of residential services for Providence Hall (2001-03) and as administrator of Providence Hall (2004-07).

Sister Maria has also ministered in Illinois and Oklahoma.

She currently ministers as activity director of the Villas of Guerin Woods in Georgetown.

Sister Suzanne Smith (formerly Sister Louise), a native of Washington, D.C., entered the congregation on Jan. 30, 1954, from Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Parish in Washington. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. She earned a master’s degree in mathematics at the University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Ind., and a master’s degree in business administration at Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Suzanne served in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former Ladywood Academy (1959-65) and in West Terre Haute as housing assistant for Providence Housing Corporation (2005-06).

At the motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, she served as business office assistant (1977-79), director of data processing (1979-82), comptroller general business office (1982-93), director of finance for the central business office (1993-99), consulting and computer services (1999-2001), volunteer for the ministry of care office (2004) and administrative assistant for Providence Center/Coordinator Our Lady of Providence Shrine (2006-13).

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, she served for accounting services (2001-02) and as admissions assistant and adjunct instructor (2001-03).

Sister Suzanne has also ministered in Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods motherhouse.

Sister Marilyn Trobaugh (formerly Sister Robert Louise), a native of Lafayette, Ind., in the Lafayette Diocese, entered the congregation on Jan. 4, 1954, from St. Mary Cathedral Parish in Lafayette. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1961.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. She earned a master’s degree in elementary education at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

In the archdiocese, she served in Clarksville in maintenance at Our Lady of Providence Jr./Sr. High School (1971-73). In Indianapolis, she served as a teacher at St. Philip Neri School (1956-59), as a bookkeeper for Colonial Crest Nursing Home (1976-83), Brookview Manor Nursing Center (1983-86), Pine Tree Manor (1986-92) and Nova Care Inc. (1992-97); and in New Albany as business officer for Providence Retirement Home (1970-71).

She also worked for the central billing office at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in St. Mary of the Woods.

Sister Marilyn also served in Indiana in the Evansville and Lafayette dioceses.

She currently ministers as the local residence accounts manager of Central Business Office, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!