July 22, 2011

Two Benedictine monks celebrate 50 years of priestly ministry

Special to The Criterion

The Benedictine monks at Saint Meinrad Archabbey in St. Meinrad recently celebrated the 50-year priesthood jubilees of Father Timothy Sweeney and Father Meinrad Brune.

A native of Indianapolis, Father Timothy made his profession of vows on Aug. 15, 1956, and was ordained on May 7, 1961.

He earned a bachelor’s degree at the former Saint Meinrad College, a master of divinity degree at Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology, a licentiate in sacred theology at the Pontifical International Institute of St. Anselm in Rome, and a licentiate in philosophy at the Institut Catholique in Paris.

From 1968-78, Father Timothy taught philosophy at the former Saint Meinrad College.

In 1970, he was named subprior, which is third in leadership of the monastic community, and served in that role for five years.

In 1975, he was appointed prior, which is second in leadership of the monastic community, and served in that role from 1975-78.

On June 2, 1978, Father Timothy was elected archabbot of Saint Meinrad.

Under his leadership, construction was completed on a new monastery and library. In addition, the former monastery was renovated into St. Anselm Hall and plans were begun to renovate the historic Archabbey Church.

After resigning as archabbot in 1995, Father Timothy served as pastor of the Parish of the Immaculate in Owensboro, Ky., and later at St. Paul Parish in Tell City.

He currently teaches philosophy at Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology.

Also a native of Indianapolis, Father Meinrad made his profession of vows on Aug. 15, 1956, and was ordained on May 7, 1961.

He earned a bachelor’s degree at the former Saint Meinrad College, master of divinity degree at Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology, and master’s degree in political theory at Butler University in Indianapolis.

From 1962-67, Father Meinrad taught history at the former Saint Meinrad High School in St. Meinrad.

In 1968, he was appointed assistant professor of history and political science at the former Saint Meinrad College, where he served for 10 years.

Father Meinrad also has served as chairman of the Archabbey Liturgy Committee and a master of ceremonies.

In 1984, he was appointed associate director of the Saint Meinrad Seminary Alumni Association. A year later, he was appointed alumni director, and served in that position for eight years.

In 1995, he was named to his current position as director of the Benedictine Oblate program. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!