September 10, 2021

Sisters of Providence celebrate significant jubilees

Criterion staff report

Providence sister jubilarians (Click to view larger)In 2021, 22 members of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods celebrated significant milestones in the congregation.
 

80-year jubilarian

Sister Agnes Eugene Cordak is a native of Chicago. She entered the congregation on Sept. 14, 1941, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1950. Sister Agnes Eugene earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in St. Mary-of-the-Woods and master’s degrees in education and history, both from Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

Sister Agnes Eugene served in the archdiocese as a teacher at the former St. Mary School in Richmond (now St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School), and the former St. Ann School, the former Gibault Home for Boys and the former Bishop Schulte High School, all in Terre Haute.

At the motherhouse, she served as sacristan and treasurer for Providence Hall, in residential services, as manager/buyer, as coordinator of transportation, on the gift store staff, in the resource center and as a volunteer.

Sister Agnes Eugene also ministered in the Diocese of Gary, Ind., and in Illinois and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

75-year jubilarians

Sister Adele (formerly Sister Joseph Therese) Beacham was born in Toronto, Canada. She entered the congregation on July 22, 1946, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1954.

Sister Adele earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. In addition, she earned a master’s degree in reading from Cardinal Stritch University in Glendale, Wis., and a master’s degree in theological studies from Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology in St. Meinrad.

She served in the archdiocese as a teacher at the former St. Anthony School in Indianapolis; as a principal at Holy Cross Central School in Indianapolis; as a religious educator, parish minister and pastoral associate at St. Anne Parish in New Castle; as director of religious education at Sacred Heart Parish in Terre Haute; and in the ministry of care at Rockville Women’s Prison.

At the motherhouse, Sister Adele served as director of development, a volunteer, on the wellness ministry staff, for the ministry of care and as a tutor.

She also served in the Diocese of Evansville, Ind., and the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Ind., and in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Joanne (formerly Sister Timothy) Cullins is a native of New Albany. She entered the congregation on Jan. 9, 1946, from the former Holy Trinity Parish in New Albany and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1953.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in addition to a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

Sister Joanne served in the archdiocese as a teacher at the former St. Paul School in Sellersburg (now St. John Paul II School), the former St. Benedict School in Terre Haute and Holy Family School in New Albany; as a receptionist and social services designee at the former Providence Retirement Home in New Albany; as director of adult education and receptionist at Providence Self Sufficiency Program in New Albany; and as director of adult education for Providence Place in Georgetown.

She also ministered in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Ind., and the Diocese of Gary, Ind., and in Illinois and Maryland.

Sister Joanne currently serves in the ministry of care in the New Albany area.
 

Sister Mary Mark Dede is a native of Terre Haute. She entered the congregation on Jan. 13, 1946, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1953.

Sister Mary Mark has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at Holy Family School in New Albany; in Terre Haute at the former St. Margaret Mary and Sacred Heart schools and St. Patrick School; and as teacher and principal at the former St. Leonard of Port Maurice School in West Terre Haute.

At the motherhouse, Sister Mary Mark worked in the Development Office.

She also served in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Ind., and in California, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and North Carolina.

Sister Mary Mark currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Mary Lois Hennel is a native of Evansville, Ind. She entered the congregation on July 21, 1946, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1954.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as well as a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Lois served as a teacher at the former St. Anne School in New Castle, the former St. Andrew the Apostle School in Indianapolis and the former St. Joseph School in Indianapolis.

At the motherhouse, she served in operations, on the central business office staff and in residential services.

Sister Mary Lois also served in the Diocese of Evansville and in California, Illinois, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

She currently serves at the motherhouse in residential services and as a volunteer.
 

Sister Lois Ann Stoiber is a native of Joliet, Ill. She entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1946, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1953.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in education from Illinois State University.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Jude School in Indianapolis.

Sister Lois Ann also served in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, and in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

70-year jubilarians

Sister Noralee (formerly Sister Joseph Edward) Keefe is a native of Chicago. She entered the congregation on Jan. 9, 1951, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and also has a master’s degree in education administration from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles.

In the archdiocese, Sister Noralee served as a teacher at Holy Family School in New Albany and the former St. Ann School in Indianapolis.

She also served in California, Illinois and North Carolina.

Currently, she ministers in residential services and as treasurer for Providence Hall at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Joseph Ellen Keitzer is a native of Hammond, Ind. She entered the congregation on May 26, 1951, from All Saints Parish in Hammond. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1959.

She has a bachelor’s degree in music from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in music education from Ball State University in Muncie, Ind.

In the archdiocese, Sister Joseph Ellen served in Indianapolis as a teacher at Immaculate Heart of Mary School and at the former St. Andrew the Apostle School, and at the former St. Margaret Mary School in Terre Haute.

She also served in Illinois, New Hampshire and Texas.

Sister Joseph Ellen currently serves in pastoral ministry of presence for the Northwest Austin African American Community in Chicago.
 

Sister Lucille (formerly Sister Mary Louise) Lechner is a native of Jasper, Ind. She entered the congregation on Jan. 9, 1951, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1957.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in education from Indiana University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Lucille served as a teacher at St. Charles Borromeo School in Bloomington; in Indianapolis at St. Matthew the Apostle, St. Jude and the former All Saints and St. Bridget schools, and in the learning center of St. Joan of Arc School; in Richmond at the former St. Mary School (now St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School).

She also ministered at the St. Paul Hermitage in Beech Grove, at the former Holy Trinity Adult Day Care and at Home Health Care Services in Indianapolis, and at Providence Retirement Home in New Albany.

At the motherhouse, she served as assistant to the co-director of Residential Services at Providence Hall.

Sister Lucille also served in the dioceses of Fort Wayne-South Bend, Gary and Lafayette, as well as in Illinois and Oklahoma.

Currently, she ministers in residential services and as the assistant to the administrator of Providence Hall at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Marie Grace Molloy is a native of Indianapolis. She entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1951, from St. Patrick Parish in Indianapolis and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as well as a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

Sister Marie Grace served in the archdiocese as a teacher in Indianapolis at Immaculate Heart of Mary, Nativity, St. Jude and St. Philip Neri schools and the former St. Joseph School. She also served as a tutor in Indianapolis.

At the motherhouse, she served as activities coordinator and coordinator of St. John Academy and St. Agnes Academy alumnae.

Sister Marie Grace also served in the dioceses of Evansville, Fort Wayne-South Bend and Gary, and also in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in the Archives Department at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods and as the coordinator of the St. John Academy Alumnae.
 

Sister Carol (formerly Sister Mary Sheila) Nolan is a native of Galesburg, Ill. She entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1951, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

She has a bachelor’s degree in music from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College to a master’s degree in music from Illinois State University. Sister Carol also has a master’s degree in German from Portland State University in Portland, Ore.

In the archdiocese, Sister Carol taught at the former St. Andrew the Apostle School in Indianapolis and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in St. Mary-of-the-Woods.

She also served in California and Illinois, and in Austria and Taiwan.

Currently, she ministers at the motherhouse in outreach and residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Rosemary (formerly Sister Rose Clare) Rafter is a native of Bloomington, Ill. She entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1951, from St. Patrick Parish in Terre Haute, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University and a master’s degree in counseling psychology from George Williams College of Aurora University in Aurora, Ill.

Sister Rosemary served in the archdiocese as a teacher at St. Luke the Evangelist School and the former St. Ann School, both in Indianapolis.

At the motherhouse, she served on the corporate renewal team and a provincial of Sacred Heart Province.

Sister Rosemary also served in the Indiana dioceses of Evansville and Fort Wayne-South Bend, and in Illinois and New Hampshire.

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer at St. Thomas Hospice in Hinsdale, Ill.
 

Sister Mary Lou (formerly Sister Mary Lucian) Ruck is a native of Evanston, Ill. She entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1951, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

She has a bachelor’s degree in English from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a master’s degree in English from Indiana State University and a master’s degree in religious studies from Spalding University in Louisville, Ky.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Lou served as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Monica and the former St. Bridget schools, and at the former

St. Margaret Mary School in Terre Haute. She also served as an adult education teacher at Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries in New Albany.

At the motherhouse, she served as a wellness assistant.

Sister Mary Lou also served in the Indiana dioceses of Evansville and Lafayette, and in Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio and Oklahoma.

She currently serves at the motherhouse as a volunteer and in healing ministry.
 

60-year jubilarians

Sister Susan (formerly Sister Mary de Sales) Dinnin is a native of Indianapolis. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, from St. Joan of Arc Parish in Indianapolis and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1969.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in elementary education from Indiana University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Susan served as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Simon the Apostle and St. Thomas Aquinas schools, and at the former St. Leonard of Port Maurice School in West Terre Haute. She also served as a teacher and principal at the former St. Paul School in Sellersburg (now St. John Paul II School). In Indianapolis, she also served as activities coordinator, site manager and program director for A Caring Place Adult Day Services.

She also served in the Diocese of Evansville and in Michigan.

Sister Susan currently serves in the ministry of care and as the coordinator for the St. Agnes Alumnae Association in the Indianapolis area.
 

Sister Mary Catherine (formerly Sister Martha Patrick) Guiler is a native of Washington, D.C. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1969.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in English from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a master’s degree in English from Indiana State University and a master’s degree in pastoral studies from Washington Theological Union in Washington, D.C.

Sister Mary Catherine served in the Diocese of Evansville and in Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

Currently, she ministers as a substitute teacher for the Academy of the Holy Cross in Kensington, Md.
 

Sister Betty (formerly Sister Barbara Francis) Hopf is a native of Jasper, Ind. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on May 24, 1970.

Sister Betty has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a master’s degree in elementary education from Indiana University and a master’s degree in pastoral theology from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at St. Patrick School in Terre Haute, as a teacher and co-principal at Holy Angels School in Indianapolis, and as a pastoral associate at St. Andrew the Apostle Parish in Indianapolis.

At the motherhouse, she served as coordinator of wellness services and as ministry of care coordinator.

Sister Betty also served in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend.

Currently, she ministers as a chaplain at the Hux Cancer Center in Terre Haute.
 

Sister Lawrence Ann Liston is a native of Terre Haute. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, from the former St. Ann Parish in Terre Haute, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1969.

Sister Lawrence Ann earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at the former St. Paul School in Sellersburg (now St. John Paul II School) and the former All Saints School in Indianapolis, and as a principal at the former

St. Paul School in Sellersburg and St. Philip Neri School in Indianapolis. Sister Lawrence Ann served at the Archbishop Edward T. O’Meara Catholic Center in Indianapolis as director of schools, director of educational administration, and associate executive director of Catholic education. She also served in numerous administrative roles at Robin Run Village and Hoosier Village in Indianapolis and at Wabash Valley Health Center in Terre Haute.

At the motherhouse, Sister Lawrence Ann served as interim General Secretary and assistant coordinator of pastoral ministry for health care services.

She also served in Illinois.

Currently, Sister Lawrence Ann ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Margaret (formerly Sister James Patrick) Lynch is a native of Chicago. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 16, 1969.

Sister Margaret earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a master’s degree in religious education from Loyola University and a master’s of pastoral studies from Loyola University.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at the former St. Agnes Academy and the former Ladywood-St. Agnes Academy, and at Father Thomas Scecina Memorial High School, all in Indianapolis; as archdiocesan high school religious coordinator; as teacher and dean of girls at the former Schulte High School in Terre Haute; as pastoral associate and director of religious education at Sacred Heart Parish in Terre Haute; as adult education teacher for Providence Self Sufficiency Ministries in New Albany; and as parish life coordinator at the former St. Leonard of Port Maurice Parish in West Terre Haute and at St. Mary-of-the-Woods parish in St. Mary-of-the-Woods.

At the motherhouse, Sister Margaret served in the ministry of care and as a volunteer.

She also served in the dioceses of Evansville and Lafayette, and in Illinois and Kentucky.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Diane (formerly Sister Ann Vianney) Mason is a native of Joliet, Ill. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on April 17, 1971.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and master’s degrees in education and education supervision/administration, both from Indiana State University.

Sister Diane served as a teacher, assistant principal, principal, chaplain, spiritual director, and associate director and director of Providence Associates, all in Illinois.

Currently, she serves in the ministry of care and as a volunteer at St. Michael Parish in Orland Park, Ill.
 

Sister Mary (formerly Sister David Mary) Morley is a native of Indianapolis. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, from St. Andrew the Apostle Parish in Indianapolis, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1969.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in guidance counseling from Indiana University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary served as a teacher at the former St. Mary-of-the-Woods Village School in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, and at St. Luke the Evangelist School in Indianapolis.

She has also served in the Diocese of Lafayette, and in numerous teaching, educational and ministerial positions in Ohio.

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer GED tutor for the East End Adult Learning Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
 

Sister Maria (formerly Sister Maria Immaculata) Saracco is a native of Chicago. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on May 10, 1970.

She has a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in reading from Northern Illinois University.

Sister Maria has served as a teacher at numerous schools in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer and in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Mary Jeanine Schubert is a native of Chicago. She entered the congregation on Sept. 18, 1961, and professed perpetual vows on May 23, 1970.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in education from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and a master’s degree in early childhood education from the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Jeanine served as a teacher at the former St. Andrew the Apostle School and the former St. Agnes Academy, both in Indianapolis.

She has also served as a teacher and in various roles in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer in the Chicago area.†

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!