October 4, 2019

Sisters of Providence celebrate significant jubilees

Criterion staff report

In 2019, 19 Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods celebrated significant milestones in the congregation.
 

75-year jubilarians

Sister Rita Clare Gerardot, a native of New Haven, Ind., in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, entered the congregation on July 21, 1944, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1952.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She also has a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Rita Clare served in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Catherine of Siena School (1947-51) and at St. Simon the Apostle School (1973-77); as principal of St. Luke the Evangelist School (1967-73); as a parish minister to the poor and elderly at SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral Parish (1981-1989); and in Terre Haute as a volunteer at the Federal Correctional Complex, St. Ann Clinic and Helping Hands.

She also served in the Indiana dioceses of Evansville, Fort Wayne-South Bend and Gary, and also in Illinois.

Sister Rita Clare served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in healthcare and as director of the Sisters’ Wellness Center.

She currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Mildred (formerly Sister Alma Joseph) Giesler, a native of Jasper, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on Jan. 10, 1944, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1951.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also has a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University in Terre Haute, and a master’s degree in religious education from the University of Seattle.

Sister Mildred served in the archdiocese as a teacher at the former

St. Anne School in New Castle (1955-58), the former St. Andrew the Apostle School (1959-65) and St. Simon the Apostle School (1981-88), both in Indianapolis.

She also served in the Evansville Diocese and the Lafayette Diocese, and in California, Illinois, Massachusetts and North Carolina.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Mildred served in residential services and as a volunteer.

She currently ministers in prayer and in health care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Florence (formerly Sister Thomas Ann) Norton, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Jan. 10, 1944, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1951.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also has a master’s degree in education from St. Louis University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Florence served as a teacher at St. Thomas Aquinas School (1946-50) and the former St. Catherine of Siena School (1950-52), both in Indianapolis.

She also served in Illinois, Missouri and New Hampshire, and in Arequipa, Peru.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, she has served as a volunteer, and currently ministers there as an English as a Second Language teacher.
 

Sister Miriam Clare Stoll, a native of Clyde, Mo., entered the congregation on Aug. 12, 1944, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1952.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, Sister Miriam Clare served as teacher at Holy Spirit School (1954-62) and St. Philip Neri School (1966-71), both in Indianapolis. She also served as home and activities coordinator at St. Elizabeth/Coleman Pregnancy and Adoption Services in Beech Grove (1971), helper at St. Matthew the Apostle Parish in Indianapolis (1971-72), a visitor at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis (1972-74), and in ministry to aging shut-ins and the sick at St. Patrick Parish in Terre Haute (1986-94).

Sister Miriam Clare also served in Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, she served in community service and as a volunteer.

Sister Miriam Clare currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

70-year jubilarians

Sister Barbara Ann (formerly Sister Mary Martha) Bluntzer, a native of Corpus Christi, Texas, entered the congregation on June 7, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1957.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also has a master’s degree in elementary education from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Barbara Ann served as a teacher at St. Joan of Arc School in Indianapolis (1952-54) and at the former Sacred Heart of Jesus School in Terre Haute (1954-56).

She also served in Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.

Currently, she ministers as a tutor for St. Patrick School in Terre Haute.
 

Sister Marian Brady, a native of Washington, D.C., entered the congregation on Feb. 11, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Trinity Washington University in Washington, D.C., with a bachelor’s degree in English. She also has a master’s and Ph.D. in philosophy from The Catholic University of America.

In the archdiocese, she served as a teacher at the former Ladywood Academy in Indianapolis (1951-55), Our Lady of Providence High School in Clarksville, and the former Paul C. Schulte High School in Terre Haute (1955-56).

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, she served as assistant and associate professor of philosophy (1962-67) and also as dean of students (1966-67)

She also served as a professor and president at the former Immaculata College, operated by the Sisters of Providence in Washington (1968 through its closure in 1979), and in professorial, lecture and director roles at The Catholic University of America in Washington (1981-2016).

Currently, she ministers as the coordinator for the alumnae organization of the former Immaculata College in Washington.
 

Sister Suzanne (formerly Sister Mary Judith) Buthod, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, entered the Congregation on Feb. 2, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She also has a master’s degree in religion from Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y.

Sister Suzanne served in the archdiocese as a teacher at St. Michael School in Greenfield (1956-62), as a principal and teacher at the former St. Catherine of Siena School in Indianapolis (1962-68), as a teacher at the former Paul C. Schulte High School in Terre Haute (1969-74), and as a pastoral associate at Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary and St. Patrick parishes in Indianapolis (1985-88).

She also served in the Evansville Diocese and in Alabama and Illinois.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Suzanne served as director of novices and as a volunteer.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Rosemary (formerly Sister Mary Luke) Eyler, a native of Crawfordsville, Ind., in the Lafayette Diocese, entered the congregation on

Feb. 2, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also has master’s degrees in education and in education administrative supervision from Indiana State University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Rosemary served as a teacher at St. Michael School in Greenfield (1959-66), and in Indianapolis as a teacher and principal at the former St. Bridget School (1966-70) and as a principal at St. Matthew the Apostle School (1979-93).

She also served in the Evansville and Lafayette dioceses, and in Illinois, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Sister Rosemary currently ministers as a parish volunteer at St. Christopher Parish in Indianapolis.
 

Sister Marie Denis Lucey, a native of Brighton, Mass., entered the congregation on July 22, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1957.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, Sister Marie Denis served as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1952, 1958), at St. Philip Neri School (1955-57) and at St. Joan of Arc School (1958-61), all in Indianapolis.

She also served in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

Sister Marie Denis currently ministers in convent service in Washington, D.C.
 

Sister Regina Marie McIntyre, a native of Eaton, Ohio, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1949, from St. Mary (now St. Elizabeth Ann Seton) Parish in Richmond, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music and has a master’s degree in music from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Regina Marie served as a teacher at the former St. Margaret Mary School in Terre Haute (1951), St. Philip Neri School in Indianapolis (1955-56) and St. Charles Borromeo School in Bloomington (1956-83), and as an organist and teacher at Saint Meinrad Archabbey in St. Meinrad (2003-13).

She also served in Illinois, Maryland and Oklahoma.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, served as liturgy director, pianist/organist, scholastic director and teacher.

Sister Regina Marie currently ministers as an organist at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, a teacher at St. Meinrad Archabbey, and a volunteer in West Terre Haute.
 

Sister Margaret (formerly Sister Marie Angeline) Norris, a native of Jasper, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on July 22, 1949, and professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1957.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and also has a master’s degree in education from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Margaret served as a teacher and principal at St. Michael School in Greenfield (1965-69).

She also served in the Evansville Diocese and in Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina.

Sister Margaret currently ministers as a massage therapist at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Joann (formerly Sister Joan Margaret) Quinkert, a native of New Albany, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1949, from the former Holy Trinity Parish in New Albany, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education and has a master’s degree in education from Indiana State University.

In the archdiocese, Sister Joann served as a teacher at St. Paul School (now St. John Paul II School) in Sellersburg (1956-57), as a principal at St. Philip Neri School in Indianapolis (1970-76) and as a pastoral associate at St. Mary Parish in New Albany (1976-80).

She also served in the Evansville and Fort Wayne-South Bend dioceses, and in Alabama, Iowa, Kentucky and North Carolina.

Sister Joann currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Charles Van Hoy, a native of Bloomington, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1949, from St. Charles Borromeo Parish in Bloomington, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1956.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education and has a master’s degree in library science from Spalding University in Louisville.

In the archdiocese, Sister Charles served in the archdiocese in Indianapolis as a teacher and principal at St. Anthony School—now a Notre Dame ACE Academy (1964-70), the former All Saints School (1970-71), a bookkeeper and adult education teacher at United Southside Community Organization (1975-83) and a pastoral associate at

St. Patrick and Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary parishes (1983-93).

She also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend and Lafayette dioceses, and in Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Washington, D.C.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Charles served as coordinator of activities, director of the activity department and a volunteer.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

60-year jubilarians

Sister Clelia (formerly Sister Rosina) Cecchetti, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Sister Clelia, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1959, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1966.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music and received a master’s degree in music education from Ball State University in Muncie.

In the archdiocese, Sister Clelia served as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart of Jesus School and the former St. Ann School, both in Terre Haute (1963-66), and at the former St. Ann School in Indianapolis and St. Malachy School in Brownsburg (1966-67).

She also served in Maryland, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Clelia served as resident accounts manager and finance clerk cashier.

She currently serves at St. Mary of the Mills Parish in Laurel, Md.
 

Sister Ellen (formerly Sister Michael Aquinas) Cunningham, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on July 22, 1959, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1967.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. She also earned a master’s degree in mathematics from The Catholic University of America, and her

Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Maryland. She also has a master’s in science in computing science education from the University of Evansville.

Sister Ellen served in the Evansville and Fort Wayne-South Bend dioceses, and in Illinois.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, she served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College as a professor, adjunct professor, department chair and volunteer.

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer in the Institutional Advancement Office at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
 

Sister Paula (formerly Sister Marie Pauline) Modaff, a native of Oak Park, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1959, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1967.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She also earned master’s degrees in Spanish, Latin and American Literature from Universidad Ibero-Americana in Mexico, and a master’s degree in religious studies from Gonzaga University. She also has a licentiate of canon law from Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome.

In the archdiocese, Sister Paula served as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence High School in Clarksville (1964-66) and at the Hispanic Education Center in Indianapolis (2003); as a canon lawyer (2003-06), judge (2008) and auditor (2011-15) for the archdiocesan Metropolitan Tribunal; as a spiritual director at the former Beech Grove location of St. Francis Hospital; and as a volunteer at St. Margaret Mary Parish in Terre Haute (2011-15).

She also served in California and Illinois.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Paula ministered in the former House of Prayer, as a teacher at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, as a minister of care and spiritual direction, and in health care services.

She currently ministers as an auditor for the archdiocesan Metropolitan Tribunal, and as a spiritual companion at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.
 

Sister Dorothy (formerly Sister Rose Martin) Rasche, a native of Jasper, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on July 22, 1959, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1967.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also has a master’s degree in religious studies from the University of St. Mary of the Lake in Mundelein, Ill.

In the archdiocese, Sister Dorothy served as a teacher at St. Joan of Arc School (1964-65), the former St. Andrew the Apostle School (1968-69) and the former St. Joseph School (1970), all in Indianapolis, St. Malachy School in Brownsburg (1969-70), and the former Sacred Heart of Jesus School in Terre Haute (1970-72, 1981-82).

She also served in the archdiocese as director of religious education at Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish (1972-73) and St. Joseph University Parish (1982-83), both in Terre Haute, St. Lawrence Parish in Indianapolis (1973-76), and the former Holy Rosary Parish in Seelyville (1979-81).

Sister Dorothy also ministered at the Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute as a prison chaplain, staff chaplain, director of religious education and Catholic spiritual guide for the Life Connections Program.

She also served two ministries of the Sisters of Providence—The Connecting Link in West Terre Haute as a service provider and director, and Providence Housing Corporation in Terre Haute as rehab coordinator.

At Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Sister Dorothy served as a nursing assistant in the Sisters’ infirmary.

She also served in the Evansville Diocese, and in California, Michigan, Texas and West Virginia.

Sister Dorothy currently ministers at the Federal Correctional Complex and as director of The Connecting Link.
 

Sister Therese Guerin Sullivan, a native of Malden, Mass., entered the congregation on July 22, 1959, and professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1967.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She also earned a master’s degree in personalized learning from DePaul University in Chicago, as well as a doctorate in ministry from the University of St. Mary of the Lake in Mundelein, Ill. Sister Therese Guerin also has a licentiate of canon law and a master’s in Roman Catholic Theology, both from St. Paul University in Ottawa, Canada.

She has served in the Gary Diocese, and in Illinois, North Carolina and Ohio.

She currently ministers as a canonical consultant in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
 

50-year jubilarian

Sister Katherine Francis French, a native of Trenton, N.J., entered the congregation on Sept. 15, 1969, and professed perpetual vows on Sept. 27, 1975.

Sister Katherine Francis graduated from Immaculata College for Women in Washington, D.C., with an associate degree in 1968, and from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English in 1971. She also earned a master’s degree in religious education from St. Thomas Aquinas Pontifical University in Rome, as well as her licensed practical nursing (LPN) degree from Vinal Regional Vocational Tech in Middletown, Conn.

She served at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as an LPN for Providence Health Care.

Sister Katherine Francis also served in Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Sister Katherine Francis currently ministers as a freelance adult faith formation educator in North Carolina. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!