August 9, 2019

From the Archives

Recess at St. Francis de Sales

Students play outside during recess near the former St. Francis de Sales Church in Indianapolis in this photo from May 15, 1983. The former St. Francis de Sales Parish in the Brightwood neighborhood was founded in 1881 but closed on June 30, 1983, along with its school, due to declining membership caused by the construction of Interstate 70. The church building is now the home of the Father Boniface Hardin Gathertorium at Martin University.

Students play outside during recess near the former St. Francis de Sales Church in Indianapolis in this photo from May 15, 1983. The former St. Francis de Sales Parish in the Brightwood neighborhood was founded in 1881 but closed on June 30, 1983, along with its school, due to declining membership caused by the construction of Interstate 70. The church building is now the home of the Father Boniface Hardin Gathertorium at Martin University.
 

(Would you like to comment on or share information about this photo? Contact archdiocesan archivist Julie Motyka at 800-382-9836, ext. 1538; 317-236-1538; or by e-mail at jmotyka@archindy.org.)

 

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!