December 21, 2018

Twenty-four Sisters of Providence celebrate jubilees

Criterion staff report

In 2018, one member of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods celebrated 85 years in the congregation, three celebrated 75 years, 12 celebrated 70 years and eight celebrated 60 years.

85-year jubilarian

Sister Marceline Mattingly, a native of Henderson, Ky., entered the congregation on Feb. 10, 1933, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1941. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English, and from the University of Notre Dame in northern Indiana with a master’s degree in biology.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Anthony School (1938-40), and at St. Philip Neri School (1942-46); in Clarksville as a teacher at Our Lady of Providence High School (1968-70); in New Albany as a pastoral associate at St. Mary Parish (1983-89); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities, including as an instructor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College in the learning resource center (1991-2001). She has also ministered in Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Currently she volunteers at Providence Health Care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

75-year jubilarians

Sister Adrian Marie Conrad, a native of Bicknell, Ind., entered the congregation on July 22, 1943, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1951. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University in Terre Haute with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a teacher in Richmond at the former St. Mary School (1946-50), now St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School; in Indianapolis as superior and principal at St. Jude School (1965-68), as a teacher at the former Chartrand High School (1968-70), as campus director at the former Ladywood-St. Agnes Academy (1971-72), and as administrative secretary at Cathedral High School (1976-78); and in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School (1972-76). She has also ministered in California, Illinois and Nevada.

Currently, she ministers in residential services in Los Angeles.

Sister Michaela Galvin, a native of Melrose, Mass., entered the congregation on July 16, 1943, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1951. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English, and from the University of Notre Dame with a master’s degree in English.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in residential services (2000-10), and as a volunteer at Providence Health Care (2010-11). She has also ministered in Illinois, Massachusetts, Texas and Washington, D.C.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Louise (formerly Sister Edward Louise) Schroeder, a native of Jasper, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 5, 1943, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1950. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Joan of Arc School (1959-62) and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in California and Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

70-year jubilarians

Sister Laurette Bellamy, a native of Chicago, Ill., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary‑of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music, from The Catholic University of America in Washington with a master’s degree in music, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a doctorate in music theory.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former Ladywood Academy (1950-52 and 1957‑64); in Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as a professor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (1952-53, 1955-57, 1968-71, and 1972-2010); in Terre Haute as a volunteer at the former St. Ann Clinic (2006-11); in Bloomington as a volunteer for the St. Vincent de Paul Society (2006-14) and as a nursing home visitor for St. Charles Borromeo Parish (2013-14), and again in Indianapolis as a volunteer for the St. Vincent de Paul Society (2015-16).

Currently, she ministers as a volunteer at Our Lady of the Greenwood Parish in Greenwood.

Sister Ann Marie Boyce, a native of Richmond, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1950-53), and as a teacher and assistant principal at St. Jude School (1977-78); in Plainfield as a teacher at St. Susanna School (1959-64); in New Castle as a teacher and principal at the former St. Anne School (1967-77); in Sellersburg as a teacher and principal at the former St. Paul School (1978-85), now St. John Paul II School; in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School (1996-99); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in California and North Carolina.

Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Helen Therese Conway, a native of Chicago, Ill., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Andrew School (1950-53) and the former St. Catherine School (1965-67); in New Albany as a teacher at the former Holy Trinity School (1953-54); in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School (1954-55); in Greenwood as a teacher at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1967-69); in Greenfield as a teacher and principal at St. Michael School (1969-87); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in California and Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in prayer.

Sister Eileen (formerly Sister Anita Therese) Dede, a native of Terre Haute, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Patrick School (1951-53), at Holy Spirit School (1959-65), at Immaculate Heart of Mary School (1965‑67), at St. Luke the Evangelist School (1971-73), at St. Thomas Aquinas School (1973-77), as a clinical pastoral educator at Methodist Hospital (1977), and as a volunteer at St. Francis Hospital (2011-16); in Brownsburg as a teacher at St. Malachy School (1955-57); in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School (1983-84); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in California, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts and Ohio.

Currently, she ministers in departmental services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Jane Michael Dwyer, a native of Arlington, Mass., entered the congregation on July 22, 1948, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1956. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Rivier University in Nashua, N.H., with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she ministered in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former St. Margaret Mary School (1956-57). She has also ministered in Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Washington, D.C.

Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Dorothy (formerly Sister Margaret Eugene) Gartland, a native of St. Joseph, Mo., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in elementary education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Brownsburg as a teacher at St. Malachy School (1957-59). She has also ministered in Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister James Michael Kesterson, a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Andrew School (1954-55 and 1965-68), and as the principal at St. Jude School (1978-2010); in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1961-65); and in Greenwood as a teacher and principal at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1968-78). She has also ministered in Illinois and Massachusetts.

Currently, she ministers in archdiocesan archives and outreach ministries in Fishers, Ind., in the Lafayette Diocese.

Sister Regina Ann Lynch, a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Greenwood as a teacher at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1955-58); in Terre Haute as a teacher at St. Patrick School (1958‑60); in Sellersburg as a teacher at St. John Paul II School (1966‑67); in Indianapolis as volunteer at St. Anthony Parish (2002-06); and in Beech Grove as a nurse’s assistant and volunteer at the St. Paul Hermitage (1996-2002). She has also ministered in Indiana in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois and North Carolina.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Regis McNulty, a native of Chelsea, Mass., entered the congregation on Feb. 11, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Boston University with a master’s degree in educational psychology, and from Antioch University with a master’s degree in counseling psychology.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1954‑55), and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as a volunteer and an addictions consultant at Providence Health Care (2013-14). She has also ministered in Illinois, Massachusetts, North Carolina and New Hampshire.

Currently, she ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Grace Marie Meehan, a native of Chicago, Ill., entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education, and from Illinois Eastern Community College with an associate of science degree in nursing.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Agnes Academy (1950-51); in Greenwood as a teacher and principal at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1959-68); in Richmond as a teacher at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School (1968-69); in Greenfield as a teacher and principal at St. Michael School (1969-72); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in California, Illinois and Oklahoma.

Currently, she ministers in health care in Rolling Meadows, Ill.

Sister Joan Mary Schaefer, a native of Cicero, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1948, and professed final vows on Jan. 23, 1956. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in New Castle as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1951-53); in Richmond as a teacher at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School (1954-55); and in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. John Academy (1956-59). She has also ministered in Illinois, Massachusetts and Missouri.

Currently, she ministers in residential services at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Rita Ann (formerly Sister Rose Annette) Wade, entered the congregation on Jan. 7, 1948, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1955. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in elementary education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered in Indianapolis as a teacher at Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ School (1955-57), at Holy Cross Central School (1964-66 and 1969-71), at St. Luke the Evangelist School (1971-76), and as a chaplain in the pastoral care department at St. Vincent Hospital (1977-99). She has also ministered in Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Currently, she ministers as co-director of Miracle Place in Indianapolis.

60-year jubilarians

Sister Brigid Ann Bonner, a native of Whiting, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education and from the University of Louisville with a master’s degree in social work.

In the archdiocese, she ministered as a teacher in Greenwood at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1967‑69); in Indianapolis at the former St. James School (1970-71) and St. Philip Neri School (1977-79); and as a social worker/chaplain in New Albany at Providence Retirement Home (1982-91). She has also ministered in Illinois, Kansas and Kentucky.

Currently, she ministers for the homeless at the St. Vincent DePaul Center in Louisville.

Sister Donna Butler, a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, she ministered as a teacher in Terre Haute at the former St. Ann School (1961-62 and 1975‑78), and as a religion coordinator/parish assistant at the former St. Ann Parish (1978-79); in New Albany as a teacher at the former Holy Trinity School (1964-68); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Currently, she ministers as a social justice advocate.

Sister Patricia Fillenwarth, a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958. She professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in education, and from Northeastern Illinois University with a master’s degree in community and family counseling.

In the archdiocese, she ministered as a teacher in New Albany at Holy Family School (1976). She also ministered in Illinois, Washington, D.C. and Arequipa, Peru.

Currently, she ministers as a counselor in the Chicago area.

Sister Linda (formerly Sister Marie Theodore) Kaliker, a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958. She professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education, and from Indiana University in Bloomington with a master’s degree in elementary education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a teacher in Indianapolis at the former St. Ann School (1962-64) and at Holy Spirit School (1974-81), and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in prayer.

Sister Katherine Manley, a native of Indianapolis, entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education and a master’s degree in pastoral theology, while also earning a master’s degree in special education from Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a teacher in Terre Haute at the former St. Margaret Mary School (1961-62), and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods as the administrator of Owens Hall (1989-93). She has also ministered in California and Illinois.

Currently, she ministers in departmental ministry at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Gloria Memering, a native of Vincennes, Ind., entered the congregation on Jan. 6, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1965. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in music education, and from Indiana State University with a master’s degree in music education.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a teacher in Sellersburg at St. John Paul II School (1962-66); and in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former St. Benedict School (1967-70) and the former St. Margaret Mary School (1967-76); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities. She has also ministered in North Carolina.

Currently, she ministers as a receptionist at Providence Spirituality & Conference Center, and as a music coordinator at Providence Health Care, both at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Rosemary Schmalz, a native of Evansville, Ind., entered the congregation on July 22, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1966. She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, as well as a master’s degree in pastoral theology. She also earned a master’s degree in mathematics from the University of Illinois, and a doctorate in mathematics education from Florida State University. Sister Rosemary also has a master’s degree in culture/creation spirituality from Holy Names University in Oakland, Calif.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a teacher in Indianapolis at St. Philip Neri School (1963-64); as a research assistant in Indianapolis for the National Collegiate Athletic Association (2002-06); and at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in various capacities, including as a teacher at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (1972-78 and 1979-81). She has also ministered in Illinois, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Currently, she ministers as the coordinator of the office of records at the congregation.

Sister Rosemary Ward, a native of Chicago, Ill., entered the congregation on July 22, 1958, and professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1966. She graduated from Saint Mary‑of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in biology, and from the University of North Dakota with a master’s degree in biology.

In the archdiocese, she has ministered as a registrar at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College (1961-66). She has also ministered in Illinois.

Currently, she ministers as a peace and justice advocate and coordinator of an English as a Second Language site in Bolingbrook, Ill. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!