April 20, 2018

From the Archives

New church construction in Mitchell

In this 1966 photo, Father Meinrad Rouck, pastor of St. Mary Parish in Mitchell and dean of the former Bedford Deanery, surveys the construction of St. Mary’s new church building. According to the June 17, 1966, issue of The Criterion, construction of the new church building was delayed for several months when deposits of limestone were discovered underneath the building site. St. Mary Parish, which was founded in 1869, celebrated the dedication of their new church with Archbishop Paul C. Schulte on May 21, 1967.

In this 1966 photo, Father Meinrad Rouck, pastor of St. Mary Parish in Mitchell and dean of the former Bedford Deanery, surveys the construction of St. Mary’s new church building. According to the June 17, 1966, issue of The Criterion, construction of the new church building was delayed for several months when deposits of limestone were discovered underneath the building site. St. Mary Parish, which was founded in 1869, celebrated the dedication of their new church with Archbishop Paul C. Schulte on May 21, 1967.
 

(Would you like to comment on or share information about this photo? Contact archdiocesan archivist Julie Motyka at 800-382-9836, ext. 1538; 317-236-1538; or by e-mail at jmotyka@archindy.org.)

 

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!