January 16, 2015

Sisters of Providence celebrate jubilee anniversaries

Criterion staff report

Twenty-eight members of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in St. Mary-of-the-Woods will celebrate jubilee anniversaries as members of the congregation this year.

This week, we highlight one sister celebrating her 80th anniversary, and seven sisters celebrating their 75th anniversary.

80th anniversary

Sister Rosalie Marie Weller, a native of Earl Park, Ind., in the Lafayette Diocese, entered the congregation on July 7, 1934, from St. Peter Parish in Fort Wayne, Ind. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1942.

In the archdiocese, Sister Rosalie Marie ministered at St. Lawrence Parish in Indianapolis (1984-2001).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served as a cook (1940-49, 1963-64), and in residential services (2001-11).

Sister Rosalie Marie has also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese and in California, Illinois and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

75th anniversaries

Sister Catherine Arkenberg (formerly Sister Jean Loretto), a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Jan. 5, 1939, from Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in Chicago. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1947.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education.

In the archdiocese, Sister Catherine taught in Indianapolis at St. Philip Neri School (1941-43) and in New Albany at the former Holy Trinity School (1946-47).

She has also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese and the Gary Diocese, and in Illinois, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Agnes Arvin (formerly Sister Agnes Virginia), a native of Bedford, entered the congregation on Jan. 5, 1939, from SS. Peter and Paul Cathedral in Indianapolis. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1947.

Sister Agnes graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in social studies. She earned a master’s degree in education at Indiana University in Bloomington.

In the archdiocese, Sister Agnes served in Indianapolis as a teacher at St. Philip Neri School (1947-50), St. Thomas Aquinas School (1950-51), St. Joan of Arc School (1958-59), and as a teacher and principal at St. Jude School (1959-65); in New Albany as a teacher at Holy Family School (1965-68); and in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former Sacred Heart School (1951-52).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served on the General Council (1966-71) and at St. Mary-of-the-Woods College (1970-71).

Sister Agnes has also served in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese, and in Illinois, Iowa and the West Indies.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Rose Marita Riordan, a native of Chicago, entered the congregation on Jan. 5, 1939, from the former St. Mel Parish in Chicago. She professed final vows on Aug. 15, 1947.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in education at Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Rose Marita served in Brazil at the former Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary School (1976); in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. John the Evangelist School (1941-47) and as principal of the former St. Bridget School (1954-60); and in New Castle as a teacher at the former St. Anne School (1976).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served as Sacred Heart Province Counselor (1976-77).

Sister Rose Marita has also served in New Hampshire, North Carolina and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Mary Loyola Bender, a native of Owensboro, Ky., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1939, from St. Joseph Parish in Owensboro. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1946.

Sister Mary Loyola graduated from the former St. Joseph Academy in Owensboro.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Loyola served in New Albany as administrator of Providence Retirement Home (1968-78) and in Terre Haute as a teacher at the former St. Benedict School (1945).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served as a seamstress and assistant sacristan (1941-68).

She has also served in Massachusetts and Washington, D.C.

She currently ministers in prayer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Bernadette Mary Carroll, a native of Alhambra, Calif., entered the congregation on Feb. 2, 1939, from All Souls Parish in Alhambra. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1947.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She earned a master’s degree in education at Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Bernadette Mary taught in Indianapolis at the former St. Catherine School (1946-47) and the former St. Andrew School (1953-54), and in Terre Haute at the former St. Benedict School (1947-53).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served as first assistant in the generalate (1976-81).

Sister Bernadette Mary has also served in the Evansville Diocese and in California.

She currently ministers in health care at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Mary Imelda Coulup, a native of Vincennes, Ind., in the Evansville Diocese, entered the congregation on Feb. 11, 1939, from St. John Parish in Vincennes. She professed perpetual vows on Aug. 15, 1947.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in education. She earned a master’s degree in education at Indiana State University in Terre Haute.

In the archdiocese, Sister Mary Imelda served in Greenwood as a teacher at Our Lady of the Greenwood School (1982-96); in Indianapolis as a teacher at the former St. Ann School (1945-46), Holy Cross Central School (1946-47) and the former St. Catherine School (1968-76); in New Castle at the former St. Anne School (1976-82); and in Terre Haute at the former St. Ann School (1951-52), the former St. Margaret Mary School (1962-67), and as principal of the former St. Leonard School (1967-68).

At the motherhouse at St. Mary-of-the-Woods, she served on the transportation staff (1996-2006).

Sister Mary Imelda has also served in the Evansville Diocese, and in Illinois and Maryland.

She currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods.

Sister Helen Dolores Losleben, a native of Anaheim, Calif., entered the congregation on July 16, 1939, from St. Boniface Parish in Anaheim. She professed perpetual vows on Jan. 23, 1948.

She graduated from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College with a bachelor’s degree in English. She earned a master’s degree in education at DePaul University in Chicago.

Sister Helen Dolores has ministered in California, Illinois and Texas.

She currently ministers as a volunteer at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. †

Local site Links:

Like this story? Then share it!