October 28, 2005

Father Edward Gayso was pastor in
West Terre Haute for 20 years

By Mary Ann Wyand

Father Edward V. Gayso, a retired diocesan priest, died on Oct. 21 in Bradenton, Fla. He was 81.

Father Gayso was pastor of St. Leonard of Port Maurice Parish in West Terre Haute from 1974 until he retired in 1994. After his retirement, he moved to Florida and regularly visited family members and friends in Terre Haute.

Archbishop Daniel M. Buechlein celebrated the Mass of Christian Burial at 11 a.m. on Oct. 26 at Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Terre Haute. Father Todd Riebe, pastor of St. Mary, St. Andrew and Holy Family parishes in Richmond, was the homilist.

Interment was at the Gayso family plot at Calvary Cemetery in Terre Haute.

Visitation was held at Sacred Heart Church from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Oct. 25, with a rosary service at 7 p.m.

St. Ann parishioner Mildred Thompson of Terre Haute, one of his 12 siblings, remembered her brother as a gentleman and a dedicated priest who enjoyed his ministry assignments.

“We just had such wonderful times together all through our lives,” she said. “No matter where he went [in his ministry assignments], they loved him. He was well-loved.”

Edward Vincent Gayso was born on Sept. 5, 1924, in Terre Haute to Andrew and Irma (Kerkes) Gayso, and was one of 13 children. He attended Sacred Heart School in Terre Haute, and minor and major seminary at Saint Meinrad Seminary at St. Meinrad.

He was ordained to the diaconate by Archbishop Paul C. Schulte on June 7, 1949, and ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Schulte on May 30, 1950. He was a classmate of Father Albert Ajamie.

Father Gayso began his first assignment as associate pastor of St. Paul Parish in Tell City on June 5, 1950.

He was named associate pastor of St. Mary Parish in Greensburg on Oct. 19, 1951, and associate pastor of Christ the King Parish in Indianapolis on Feb. 9, 1955.

On May 20, 1957, Father Gayso was appointed associate pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Clinton and St. Joseph Parish in Universal. On Dec. 16, 1958, he was named associate pastor of St. Gabriel Parish in Connersville.

Father Gayso was named pastor of St. Mary Parish in Navilleton on Sept. 24, 1962, and served there until his assignment as pastor of St. Leonard of Port Maurice Parish in West Terre Haute on July 9, 1974. He retired from active ministry on July 6, 1994.

Surviving are two sisters, Margaret Baker and Mildred Thompson, both of Terre Haute, and many nieces and nephews. †


Local site Links: