Programs -- Bethany House
1402 Locust St., Terre Haute, IN
Bethany House Homeless Shelter
Bethany House has sheltered single women, women with children, and married couples since it opened in April 1980.
- Residents come from various backgrounds with many different reasons for needing shelter.
- Job loss
- Release from prison
- Addiction issues
- Marital problems
- Mental and physical hardships
- All residents receive an intake assessment of needs and life situations. Together we develop a program plan that includes goal setting and personal responsibility while living at Bethany House.
- A resident's targeted stay is up to 120 days. Active participation in their service program and progress towards goals are monitored. Reviews are conducted every 30 days.
- We work with each individual to provide them with the services they need:
- Collaboration with other social service agencies
- Attendance at local Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings
- Meetings to improve resident's responsibilities and self discipline
- Employment search and maintaining employment
- GED classes
- Menu and budget planning
Bethany House Free Soup Kitchen
Since April 1982, the Bethany house Soup Kitchen has not missed a day of serving meals to the hungry in our community.
- Renovations in the fall of 2007 doubled the size of the dining room and tripled the size of the kitchen.
- Lunch is served every day of the year from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.. On the average, 129 meals are served each day.
- Beginning November 7, 2014, Deli Giveaway Days will be held on Fridays from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. This is a cooperative effort with Terre Haute Catholic Charities Foodbank to provide people with food for immediate dinners. On the average, more than 1150 household members are served each month.
Bethany House Free Clothes Closet
Open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- We accept donated clothing, small household items, toys, books, bedding, etc.
- In addition to serving more than 2,000 individuals monthly at the Closet, we also provide items to group agencies such as group homes, nursing homes, prisons, and other shelters for the needs of their clients.
Who do I call for more information?
Danielle Elkins, assistant program director, at (812) 232-4978 or via email